August 20, 2014
#Winning with my Niece :)
Finding the perfect birthday present for my seven-year-old-to-be niece is always a challenge. Luckily, there's Aunt Suzies, located on Main Street in Southampton. That's where I go to get my little fashionista of a niece her gift each year. Their selection is adorable and I love the "mom and pop" feel of the place. This year, I actually took Sami with me and we both fell in love with this dress below (she wore it on her birthday). It has little girls holding balloons on it so it really is the perfect birthday dress.
The problem with being an Aunt is we like to spoil our nieces and nephews. Case in point, on top of this awesome dress, I found these new hot dolls called The Beatrix Girls. Each doll is a musician with an intricate and empowering backstory. Together, they create original pop music developed by platinum-selling songwriters and producers. You can see from below she was very excited learning about each doll with their unique names (Lark, Ainsley, Brayden and Chantal) and personalities.
*Please note all opinions are my own*
August 17, 2014
For this fun National Day knowing that I am lover of all things vintage and thrifty I thought it would fun to gather some of my favorite past posts featuring anything and everything vintage. Enjoy and tap on the title to link to the throwback post!
Also for those of you wondering what is the difference between a Thrift Store, a Vintage Store and/or a Consignment Store is? Answers below:
- A Thrift Store is a vintage shop/boutique which is privately owned. All the items for sale in the store were purchased by the store and then are resold at some sort of premium. The store gets their merchandise from any of number of sources.
- A Vintage Store sells used clothes that are donated by individuals. The store normally donates the profits of the sales of the items in their store to go directly to a charity.
- A Consignment Store is a place where individuals can sell their clothes too. The shop, as the dealer, takes a percentage of the profit for each item sold and you get a percentage as well. If your goods do not sell they will be returned to you.
Do you Thrift or Vintage Shop? Do you Consign? I want to know :)
August 14, 2014
Last week I was asked to speak at Pandora's New York office for their Women in Business Leadership Speaker Series (an employee group dedicated to empowering women to develop their careers and connect with their communities). Some of the past speakers have been Marcie Vu, former Head of Consumer Internet Banking at Morgan Stanley; Emily Schuman, founder of Cupcakes and Cashmere; Val DiFebo, CEO of Deutsch NYC; Amy Trask, CEO of the Oakland Raiders; Darla Anderson, Oscar-winning producer at Pixar; Cristin Groos Richmond, CEO of Revoluti0n Foods; Kellie McElhaney, professor at the Haas Business School-UC Berkeley; Lisa Kavanaugh, CTO of Ask.com; Jean Quan, Mayor of Oakland and Geisha Williams, EVP of PG&E Electric Operations.
I was honored to speak at Pandora. As you all know, I am music FREAK and so excited to be a part of this inspiring group of women thought leaders. Below are pictures my social media manager, Tara (DJ MM), and I captured Behind the Seams of my time at Pandora. First of all... sweet offices, right? What a beautiful space to go to work each day. There are no closed offices; everyone works in the same open space and THEY HAVE PING PONG FOLKS (I wanted to challenge the ladies but didn't have time after I spoke... Next time).
I spoke on various topics. Here are a few of my favorite questions that were asked of me. If you guys want written answers, let me know and I'll do that for a future blog post.
- How are you going to balance having a baby and running a business?
- What are the most important qualities of a great entrepreneur?
- As a business owner, what core values and tenets do you look to instill in your employees?
- One of the common themes we see when talk to these incredibly successful women in our speaker series is that they all truly love and are passionate about what they do – their work energizes them. What do you love about your job? Is it the work, the people?
The ladies at Pandora surprised me with this Onesie! It reads "Emerging Artist".
Who is leaving the hospital in this me or my future baby? Thank you, Pandora, for this special gift, it was so thoughtful!
Thank you, Pandora, for inviting me to be one of your featured women in the WIB series. I had an incredible time and loved all your questions. Bravo for providing this opportunity to your employees!