Entrepreneurship: Patience is a Virtue
I was contemplating all different new posts for my Entrepreneurship section from this #boss #bosslady #coolboss (what my Djs thankfully call me lol!) to you! I thought this one would be very apropos for all of us including me! We all go through different times in our lives where we repeat this saying "patience is a virtue" 100 times in our heads. Right? One of traits that is least often talked about which entrepreneurs must nonetheless possess is patience. It’s not as sexy as grit, guile or determination… but its just as important. So today, I want to do a shout out for just a little patience… yeah, yeah (Axl Rose, I still love you).
Think about it....
1) that first time you took your first step. You didn't know it then but you were definitely being patient with yourself
2) or that time when you really wanted that snickers bar but your parents made you eat your healthy meal first. It was worth the wait!
3) How about getting into one of these: nursery, middle school, high school, college, grad-school, business school, etc. You get where I am going with this. Either your parents or you in one of these scenarios had to believe that what was to be would be the right decision and your patience had to be at one of your bests!
4) Then there is getting your first internship or your first job. How long did you wait to hear back from the HR team or the employer?
Many of you have asked me How did you get into such and such department store? How did you learn all the things you learned? How did you find your partners? How do you get chosen to be in a NYFW show? How did you get that licensing deal? How do you manage your team? The answer, at least in part, to all of these questions is you need to be patient. For example, when I've done everything I can to seal a large order, I try not to go overboard and badger the buyer too much. Instead, I:
- go for a run
- do yoga
- work on other projects
- don't constantly check my email
- listen to inspiring music
- paint my nails (!)
-enjoy some retail therapy
- read books about anything but the fashion business
And I ....